• Ensure that previous night's backup is complete and there are no RMAN errors in the backup logs.
• Ensure that any exports which are part of the backup are complete and the dump files
• Check the alert log for any ORA- errors - also for messages like 'Checkpoint not complete etc'.
• Ensure that the cron job for truncating, saving and renaming alert logs is working - verify the
• Ensure that the archive redo log files are compressed and have been deleted. Only files for
current and previous day should be present.
• All tablespaces should be less than 95% full - run the coalesce command on all tablespaces to
reduce fragmentation. Ensure that space in the TEMP tablespace is released and is 100% free
at the beginning of the day.
• Enough contiguous free space is available in all tablespaces for objects to extend if required.
• Backup the control file to trace so that every day we have a outline of the files and their
locations for each database.
• No objects are within 5 extents of the MAXEXTENTS storage parameter.
• All core dumps are deleted from the $CDUMP area.
• All *.trc files are deleted from the $UDUMP area.
• Check the machine for any disks 100% full or nearing that value. If a disk has filled up use
the 'find' command to determine files which have been recently created/modified . Ensure that all
*.dmp files are in their proper locations and large *.dmp files have been compressed.
• Truncate the listener.log file in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/log location if the listener log has
increased to a size > than 500 MB. Ensure the space is released, otherwise 'reload' listener.
• Run the 'recently created/modified objects' report to ensure that no unauthorised object
creation/modification is taking place.
• Ensure that there are no DBMS_JOBS with the status of failed or broken. Also last refresh times
of all running jobs should be current.
• Check to ensure that no objects exist in the database with the status 'INVALID'